Monday, October 8, 2012

Saotra Saotra Jeso

Womens centers are pretty common in Madagascar. It's a place where women come from all over the country to learn trades like baking, sewing, cooking, textiles, etc. and they bring their knowledge back to their home village/town/city. The women staying here now are around 18 yrs old and there's only about 4-6 of them (more will come throughout the year). Although they don't speak much english, it's so easy to be out with them. I hung out with them during pastry class a couple times, which consists of a lot of dancing and laughing and when they invited me to sewing class, I ended up making a skirt!

The other day they asked me to have lunch with them. How could I say no?? The started singing a prayer for lunch and after a few notes I realized I knew the song! They were singing "Saotra saotra Jeso" which means "Thank you Thank you Jesus"!!! Thats the song my family sings before meals!!!!

I hummed the harmony and held back my tears as my heart was pounding. As soon as they finished singing, I explained to them how I knew the song. And then I taught it to them in English. They could tell I was beaming because someone said "Faly be ianao!" ("You are very happy!"). "Yes! Yes I am! Thank you for singing that song." To them, it was just another song. To me, it was so much more. And now I sing it with my new family.

Saotro Saotro Jeso
Saotro Saotro Jeso
Saotro Saotro Jeso any fo
Saotro Saotro Jeso
Saotro Saotro Jeso
Saotro Saotro Jeso any fo

Thank you Thank you Jesus, in my heart. Thank you for the opportunity to connect with these beautiful women and to share love and music with them. Amen

Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment