Monday, April 15, 2013

Gratitude



Despite the recent happenings of my best friends Marzette and Solange leaving (well it's already been two months, but it still feels recent), I am still full of gratitude everyday for my life and experiences here in Madagascar. It’s amazing how the little things keep me going every day. Despite being away from my loved ones back home, I have a peace in my heart because I know, without a doubt that this is where I need to be right now. 
 
So although there are many I can think of, here is a list of a few things in my life in Madagascar that bring me deep joy and a peace that passes understanding.

I am thankful for the people at ILOFAV. Whether it’s the guards who make me practice my Malagasy and laugh at me when I don’t know what they’re saying, or the women in sewing class who invite me every day to join them.  The week after Marzette and Solange left, it was interesting how many people commented about me missing Marzette. I guess I couldn’t really hide it, but they noticed and encouraged me. “Have courage, Sarah. You must.” Janet said. Or “Malahelo ianao. Izao koa. Fa aza mitomany” (You are sad. Me too. But don’t cry) said “Nighttime” Hery. (There’s a Hery who works during the day and one at night). 

I am thankful for my time with Marzette and Solange - Beautiful women of God who taught me so much and loved me an overwhelming amount. I think about them and miss them like crazy every day. 

I’m thankful for all of my students who have taught me and continue to teach me way more than I could ever teach them. 

I’m thankful for my students at the primary school. It doesn’t matter how tired I am or nervous for teaching on any particular day, I show up and there’s 100ish children in the courtyard waving at me and yelling “Hello Miss Sarah!” and “Good Morning Miss Sarah!” And somehow all my doubts and fears fly out the window.

I’m thankful for my students at the hospital. They have shown their faithfulness by showing up during their lunch hour week after week and are always eager to learn a new song!

I’m thankful for my students at ILOFAV. Because no matter how goofy or crazy I act, they keep coming to class. I’m starting to think that maybe they’re not actually interested in learning English, but just come to be entertained by this weird teacher. Works for me.

I’m thankful for the children on the street who don’t usually say “hello” to me. They just yell out my name until they get a response. And sometimes they just keep yelling it anyways until I’m out of sight.

I’m thankful for the man who sells me fried bananas on the street. No matter how good or bad my day might have been his simple kindness and greetings make me smile. 

I am thankful for Beny, my neighbor’s 2 year old boy, whose feisty little spirit keeps me on my toes. And I adore him!

I’m thankful for my teacher, Vivian, who teaches me more than just the Malagasy language – but teaches me about gentleness, kindness, and love.

I am thankful for the opportunity to go to English church every once in a while. Not only because I understand what goes on, but also because of the community of vazaha (foreigners) and Malagasy who are there, who are supportive and understanding of what it means to live in Madagascar. 

I am thankful for my “penthouse suite”, aka my apartment. (It’s penthouse because you have to walk up 20 stairs to get to the door, and a suite because it has a spare room). This penthouse suit with spare bedroom has allowed YAGM visitors, whether passing through the city or coming to visit, to come and spend the night (or nights) here. I feel so lucky that ALL of the other 5 Mada YAGMs have come to see where I live and a bit of my life here in ILOFAV, and I love sharing it with them. 

I am thankful for the Wafferherd; For talented and loving country coordinators Pastor Austin,  and his wife Tanya. And for some weird kiddos who are also serving in Madagascar with me - Hannah (Shakira), Luke (Luka), Jane (Canada), Lee (Berg), and Kate (who is too cool to get a nickname). These beautiful people have been and continue to be an amazing support system, and dear friends who will forever have a place in my heart.

I am thankful to go on monthly climbs with my Tana Buddy, Lee Kirberg. Whether we’re climbing big rocks, steep city inclines, or mountains - it’s always an exciting adventure!

I’m thankful for those people in my community who know my name. Most of the time, I’ll just walk by and they’ll say “Sarah!” I’ll respond (in Malagasy) with a “Hello, how are you?” but in my head I’m thinking “dude, I’ve NEVER seen you before! But you know my name. That’s cool. And weird.”

I’m thankful for all the people in my community who continue to make me feel like I belong here. That despite the color of my skin and my constant butchering of their language, these people have touched my heart and I am so humbled to be here learning from them every day. 

I am so thankful for the opportunity to be living in Madagascar this year. To be challenged and pushed, loved and accepted, to accompany and be accompanied, to cry and to laugh, to question and wonder, to dance and sing, and to eat lots of rice!

I am thankful for you, reader. It is because of you that I am here. Thank you for your prayers, support, and for taking the time to read my blog. Also - you look really beautiful today. :)

I am eternally grateful for my God who never ceases to amaze or surprise me. A mysterious God who works in ways I could and will never understand. A gracious God who forgives and shows mercy when I don’t deserve it. A funny God who thought it would be a good idea for me to go to Madagascar and eat rice every day. A loving God who supports me and holds me, especially when I need some extra TLC (Tender Loving Care). 

As mentioned earlier, I have this deep sense of joy in my spirit every day. It doesn’t mean that I’m happy every day. Just because I’m living in Madagascar doesn’t mean that my life is exotic all the time. Each day brings its own challenges and reasons to want to hide in my room. But the beautiful part is when the Spirit moves in me and says “get yo white girl booty outa dat room and keep workin on relationships, chil’!” (or something like that). So I try. 

Although some days seem mundane and repetitive, each one has new blessings and new learning opportunities. And each day, despite challenges, confusions, misunderstandings, heartaches, frustrations, reasons to punch a pillow (etc etc)… my heart continues to be filled with gratitude... Every. Single. Day. 

So now I pose the question to you, dear reader – what fills you with joy and gratitude? What are you thankful for? What is it about your day and your life that brings you light? Just something to ponder. 

Have a beautiful day!

Love ya mean it,
~Sarah


1 comment:

  1. So great to hear, my dear. You are an inspiration and it is awesome that you are taking every day and making it a good one! Love you!

    ReplyDelete