Saturday, September 22, 2012

Adjusting

This past week has been all about getting acquainted in the community. That includes the market and post office as well as my placement sites. The main ones are the church, the school (both primary and secondary), the Toby (healing house), and the nearby hospital. They all have people (members, students and workers) who are eager to learn english. Good thing I`m a professional at ESL and can duplicate myself daily. Just kidding - that`s not true. Although it was a little overwhelming at first, i was taken aback by how many people were/are so eager to learn the language that comes naturally to me. For now, it`s an understatement that this vazah (white person) needs time to adjust and will figure out a schedule... somehow trying to fit everyone in. The school also asked that I teach music. There was no QUESTION that I would LOVE to do that, but I doubt my "qualifications". Sure I can dink around on a piano, pluck a few guitar chords, and can carry a tune, but the only "teaching" experience I have is teaching songs to 3rd graders in Rwanda - which may or may not have been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. But this isn`t Rwanda. And it`s a whole school year, rather than a couple weeks.

But when I am weak, my God is strong. And when I run out of songs, I`ll make up new ones. I`ve learned to throw my expectations out the window (or put them in a bottle and fill it with water - inside joke with the waferherd). So all I can do is trust that God will provide the energy and strength to not only "do" but "be".

I`ll keep ya posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment