Thursday, September 13, 2012

Moramora (moo-ra moo-ra)


The Malagasy say that they have a slow lifestyle. That it is very "moramora" - slow. They sometimes go by "Malagasy time" which could be "meet when the sun is coming up from/going down the mountain." Even in conversation, nothing is rushed. It's quite beautiful actually. Especially coming from us westerners where everything is usually go-go-go.

Then the other day, we all went to a volcanic lake called Lake Tritriva. Aparently the water is where the "mouth" of the volcano used to be. Exploring around this volcanic rock was a challenge for this Minnesotan who hasn't had much hiking experience/opportunity. Especially in choco sandals. But it was a beautiful sight to partake in something so rare.

Lake Tritriva
Along the way, there were some Malagasy children who accompanied us on our walk. There was one particular girl who started walking with me, waiting for me as I dug the rock out from my shoes, and even let me practice Malagasy with her. She was 10 and a sweetheart. As I would stumble down steep slopes of the gravel and sometimes loose my balance, she kept saying "moramora". I knew exactly what she meant. And I would laugh every time because it was so true - I was not used to this and needed to take my time.


My two friends who kept reminding me "mouramoura"

I realized this was a great way to think about adjusting to my life in Madagascar. I can't just expect myself to feel comfortable walking around this Malagasy soil if I'm not familiar with it. There will be steep drops and tree trunks in my way, unexpected rocks in the shoes, all while slipping and sliding, trying to find my grip.

That's kind of how things feel every once in a while - especially when it comes to language class.

During language class with teacher Jacky and our two Norwegian friends/classmates

This is how we feel after language class


My head hurts pretty much after every session - trying to wrap my head around how a word was pronounced or where to place it in the sentence, etc. And I wonder if I'll ever feel comfortable having conversations with the Malagasy, or if I'll only be able to do standard greetings and goodbyes.

But then I remember "moramora". Or in other words "Chill, Sarah!" Just like my body needed/needs time to adjust, the rest of my being needs to follow suit. Sometimes I just need to take a step back and remember how blessed I am to be here. And I know that with time things won't seem so overwhelming. They may be difficult, but I know I'll have a community at the women's center and already have the waferherd as a support system. And of course, there's that God of mine who seems to amaze me every day. Even in a simple sunset. To remind me of His unfailing love and how He will always be my light. That Has a plan for me and I need to continue to trust and rely on Him every moment.


Sunset in Ansirabe. Every sunset is gorgeous!
Even though I was strugglin with that hike, it was a beautiful sight. And while this transition is a challenge, the view will be a amazing.

And tomorrow I'll be arriving to my site in Antananarivo. So many emotions run through my spirit as I think about leaving the waferherd and beginning my own portion of the journey. But I continue to remind myself "moramora" - that I have been called and named and am loved by my creator. And I'm excited to see what He has in store!

Love ya, mean it.
~Sarah


No comments:

Post a Comment