Saturday, September 22, 2012

Home Sweet Home

The song " Home" by Phillip Phillips has been my anthem while preparing for and and arriving in Madagascar. The chill musicality and simple yet beautiful text helps calm my nerves, especially upon arrival to the busy capitol, Antananarivo, a place I now call home.
And after in country orientation, it began to sink in... this IS my home. For a while anyways.
I was welcomed at the gate of ELoFav womens center by my supervisor, Helena. She is the director of the womens center and lives there with her family. I wish there were accurate words to describe her. Kind, gracious, loving, smart, driven, humble, mysterious, well-traveled, God-fearing, hospitable are just a few adjectives to describe her, but she surprises me every day with how much she has done, who she knows, and where she has been. She is incredible and I am SO blessed to work with her!

The first morning here I was expecting rice for breakfast (it`s a staple here in Mada - literally breakfast, lunch, and dinner). I was wrong, I was so wrong - Helena made WAFFLES! homemade. During the tour of the center I met a girl who didnt speak much english and when I told her I could speak a little french, I realized my simple year of french 4 years ago had failed me - I couldnt understand a THING! Never doing that again! For lunch we had... wait for it... FRENCH FRIES! Helena said she understands that "Americans dont eat rice like the Malagasy. We will eat rice and you will eat french fries." Totally stereotypical... and totally awesome!

That afternoon Tanya and Austin stopped by to drop off some things I had forgotten the day before. They were on their way to the airport to drop off the last of the volunteers, Kate. When they arrived at the gate, I ran to open it and said "TONGA SOA!" (welcome!) Even though it had only been 24 hours, Helena`s hospitality and comfort had me convinced - this was my new home for the year, and I delight in welcoming anyone!


That night at dinner we had the Malagasy staple - rice. As I dished my plate they said "That`s all?? Ah! You are not Malagasy!" I think they`re joking, but they might be serious. So every night at dinner, I scoop just a little bit more rice on my plate and hope they notice. I know I will never be Malagasy, but I can try :)


Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
 

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home


Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
 

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home


Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found
 

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home


Sambatra be aho. I am so blessed.

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment