Monday, September 10, 2012

Famadihana (turning of the bones)

One of the things the Malagasy are known for is the tradition of honoring their ancestors. It's a celebration called "Famadihana". They do it about every 3 - 6 years, depending on when the family wants to do it, but it generally takes place around September. Our group didn't have opportunity to see it until this past weekend when we went on a home stay (which deserves a whole blog entry in itself). And even then, we only briefly saw the celebration as we walked through the rice patties to go to church. But we definitely heard it - all through Saturday night! Famadihana is a time to honor ancestors by taking the bones out of the tomb, carrying them around the village, re-wrapping their shrouds, and celebrating their presence in this life.  Family is expected to be present, there was food and drink, and a whole lot of music. It is definitely a party!  I was very impressed with how well the music sounded! There was trumpet, clarinet, drums, and other unidentifiable but beautiful instruments. 

An example of Famadihana (thanks to Google image)














Although the celebration was going on across the rice patties, the acoustics of the countryside made it so that we could hear the music pretty vividly. And you can BET I was having a hay-day! I was very tempted to go over and join them, but I refrained. But it got me thinking... what if the United States celebrated "famadihana"? I immediatly thought of my late beloved maternal grandmother - grandma Philbrook. 


My beautiful Grandmother
 She was an incredible woman who raised 11 children, suffered from arthritis for most of her late life, had a devotion to the Holy Family, and who knew how to love hard. She was the only grandparent I really knew and although it's been seven years since her passing, I still find myself missing her dearly. Thinking about honoring her also made me think "Shoot, if we were to have a Famadihana in honor of grandma, it would be a party! Not only because there's so many people in the family, but us 'Philbrooks' know how to have a good time" :)  

On our way back from church that Sunday, some people were talking about their relationship with their grandmother and I couldn't help from tearing up. And let me tell ya, it's tricky to have blurred vision from tears when trying to walk through rice patties. 

Walking through the rice patties - not a lot of room to move around.

 It's not until someone's gone when you realize you didn't really appreciate them. So Grandma Marge, this blog post is for you. Thank you for all the love you have shown and for giving me a beautiful family. 

We miss you and love you. 

A family song, "Tell Me Why"
Tell me why the stars do shine
Tell me why the ivy twine
Tell me why the ocean's blue
And I will tell you why I love you

Because God made the stars to shine
Because God made the ivy twine
Because God made the ocean blue
Because God made you, that's why I love you


Love ya, mean it Grandma!
~Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment